Smartphones are getting really expensive. Like the almost-as-expensive-as-a-new-laptop kind of expensive (yet this is hidden by postpaid carrier subsidies!).
However, you can get a little bit of that money back for those of you who have (or will be) re-signing their two-year contract for the latest and greatest phone. Throw in your accessories and make a nice listing on eBay and you can easily make $30+ (after fees).
Making a proper “box only” eBay listing for your cell phone box is the best way to help you get the most possible money back. More importantly, an improper listing could cause you a lot of headaches – not to mention buyer confusion.
Below I’ll share the best tips on how to do this both safely and for a quick sale!
Box Only Scams on eBay
A fairly popular scamming tactic on eBay these days is to list a cell phone or other electronic device and make it appear as if it’s the actual device when in fact it’s just the box. Usually the scammer will upload nice pictures and even sometimes include the phone in the listing’s photos as well.
Then they’ll hide in the fine print buried in the listing that it’s only for a box! When you ask for a refund, the seller will claim you failed to look at the listing in full. I’ve been scammed this way before just last year, but luckily the mailman failed to scan the delivery confirmation upon delivery and I was able to win the dispute by claiming the item was not delivered!
Many buyers on eBay won’t think twice when they see what appears to be a $40 Galaxy S5 and will checkout fast in fear that someone else might purchase the item before they do.
While you’re not planning on scamming someone into buying a box, you still don’t want someone to accidentally purchase it thinking it’s a cell phone – this will cause you (and the buyer) a headache.
Proper Way to List a “Box Only” Item on eBay
- Make sure it’s in the right category! For a cell phone box, put it in the Cell Phone and Smartphones > Accessories > Other category
- Put “BOX ONLY” in caps in the title and description in red, bold letters. Don’t hide it.
- Put the same in the warranty and returns (if you offer it).
- If you offer a warranty, specifically say “Refund ONLY for lost undelivered. No buyers remorse.” Include this in the listing’s description too.
- If you removed any UPC or bar codes for a mail-in-rebate, make sure to clearly say this in the listing description!
Create Value for Quick Sale at Highest Price:
- Take a few nice photos and crop them in Microsoft Paint (It only takes two minutes and looks 10X better!)
- Include manuals, headphones and other items … A pair of headphones lasts me about two months max, so it’s better to sell them now while they have some pop!
- Offer free shipping and international shipping via the eBay fulfillment center. eBay will ship for you at the buyers expense. No need to calculate international shipping and your liability is done after eBay receives the item at their place in the U.S. Exposure will be higher and fees are reduced if you offer free shipping. It costs $3-5 to ship USPS First Class or Priority Mail.
- Use the Buy-It-Now option. Waiting around for an auction to end on a box isn’t really the norm.
- Use all the space in the title and list the headset model number and other items if possible.
- Check completed/sold listings first to find box kits that have sold recently for a pricing reference.
Title: Samsung Galaxy S5 S 5 BOX ONLY + Manuals + OEM Headset EO-EG900BW (GH59-13967D)
Description: (doesn’t have to look pretty, just include all the essentials)
Also, remember to ask for boxes and accessories when buying phones back from retail or local customers. They re-sell the best when new models are released, and many wholesale buyers frequently look on eBay for boxes to complete their handset kits.
Latest posts by Dustin Jones (see all)
- New OLED Touch ID Tech In iPhone 8: Overview, Impact & Opinion - March 28, 2017
- Verizon Partners w/ Repair Franchise to Fix Cracked Screens - February 27, 2017
- Right to Repair Bill Gains Momentum In 5 States - January 27, 2017